We are a community of parents, grandparents and families who have come together to tackle the climate emergency by participating in family-friendly activism activities.
We've been effective in getting Ottawa City Council to change city bylaws to allow naturalized boulevards, and to endorse the global Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty.
If you like what you see, sign-up to our monthly email/newsletter to learn about upcoming actions and volunteer activities. You can find all our newsletters here.
If you are new to For Our Kids and want to learn a bit more about it, you can join one of the monthly welcome calls (often the last Tuesday of the month, 7 pm ET).
Some projects we're working on
- Helping parents communicate and normalize climate anxiety that we may experience. Our second facilitated discussion is on Wednesday June 15th at 8 pm.
- Helping more parents take on their first climate advocacy role, whether that be writing an email to their city councillor, attending a Fridays for the Future demonstration, or talking about climate change to a neighbour - all of that is important.
- Advocating for Renewable Energy in Ontario. We are working to ensure Ottawa endorses Phasing out Natural Gas Power Plants in Ontario by 2030 and embraces hydro, wind and solar (and the cleaner air and reduced GHGs that come with it.). Read our submission and add your signature in support of this motion.
- Keeping an eye on the Ontario government's ongoing destruction of greenspace and promotion of sprawl (through Ministerial Zoning Orders and fast tracking Highway 413). We formed a collaboration with other groups to Stand for the Land
Read the minutes from our last meeting (May 2022)
And here are some of our past actions:
- Protecting Ontario's Renewable Energy - We made a submission to the IESO (Ontario's Independent Electricity System Operator) during their public consultation to make it clear they knew parents want clean energy, and want Ontario to phase out natural gas powered plants by 2030. Read more about IESO here
- Strengthening Canada's Net Zero Climate Accountability Plan (Bill C-12) - We sent a submission to the standing committee signed by more than 90 parents.
- Holding the City of Ottawa Accountable on their declaration of a Climate Emergency 2 years ago. We sent Earth Day cards and made virtual messages to bring attention to decisions our council has made that does not put Climate First
- Protecting Ontario's Renewable Energy. We wrote a submission signed by over 140 Ontario residents to remove Schedule 5 from Bill 276 so that renewable energy in Ontario continues to be prioritized.
- Read up about key women of colour who have been leading climate change across the world as part of our Black History Feature. We will also be working on a submission to ensure Bill 230, Canada's plan for evaluating Environmental Racism becomes law.
- We worked with groups across Canada as part of the January Day of Action to hold our banks accountable and tell them they need to stop investing in new fossil fuel projects. This is an ongoing project, so if you still haven't contacted your bank, do it this week!
We recommend reading The Parents' Guide to Climate Revolution by Mary DeMocker. Please join us!