Canada has missed every emissions target it has ever set, and we are not on track to meet our 2030 or 2050 targets, either.
Recently, the federal government introduced its new Canadian Net-Zero Emissions Accountability Act. While this law is a welcome step in the right direction, it does not go far enough. We know that the action we take this decade is crucial – yet this law does not require setting a target for 2025; it does not make the 2030 target legally-binding; and it does not include sufficient enforcement measures.
We need to push for changes in this legislation to fill in the gaps and make it much stronger in order to secure a safe climate for our kids. This is entirely possible, but we need your help to make it happen!
Here are 5 things you can do.
1. Sign our submission letter to the standing committee for Bill C-12. We are addressing this to the standing committee on the Environment and Sustainable Development and we will also send a copy to all the MPs who are represented in the signatories.
2. Send an email to your MP. Feel free to send this letter (drafted by FOK Toronto) to your MP. If this sounds too formal, you can also consider asking a simple question. I am concerned about the effectiveness of Bill C-12, can you explain how this bill will address the IPCC recommended 2030 GHG emission reduction of 45%? (This is kind of a crucial element missing in the bill)
3. Call your MP (Most likely you will be leaving a message with one of the staff or voice mail. Tell them that as a (grand)parent you are concerned that Bill C12 needs to be strengthened for it to protect our children’s future. Ask for a meeting. We can help you find additional constituents if you would like to set up a group meeting (not all MPs do this) and also have this great conversational template you can use in your meeting. If you get a meeting, check out this great guide on having a discussion about Bill C12
4. Remind your MPs that this isn't about politics this is about our children. Here are a few ways to involve your children in a respectful way. 1) Ask them to draw what they would look like 10 yrs from now. (Here is an example). 2) Ask them to imagine what it would be like to be 10 years older and what they would like to do in 2030. Take a photo and send it to us (we can share without names). Or include it in your email to your MP. With your permission we will tweet and also include it in a collage for our submission. “Our children will have changed so much in the next 10 yrs and so will our planet if we don’t act now. 2030 is too long to wait”.
5. If you have friends, relatives, neighbours who love petitions, have them sign this one [coming soon].