UPDATE: On April 6, Minister Steven Guilbeault approved the Bay du Nord project, which contradicts IPCC and other evidence-based reports, as well as the federal government's own emissions reduction plan, released just a week earlier.
It's important to let the Minister know there is strong opposition to this decision. We have a template email you can use. Please share with your networks!
Here is background on the opposition to Bay du Nord
The youth climate movement, For Our Kids Cowichan and our sister network Mères au front in Quèbec are inviting families across the country to express their concerns about the proposed offshore oil and gas production facility Bay du Nord. More background on the project below.
Thanks to Équiterre, Sierra Club Canada and others mobilizing civil society pressure, the government has extended its timeline to make the decision. We're making an impact! You can see the announcement of the new deadline on the government of Canada's website and their announcement on Twitter.
Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, is meant to make the final decision in Mid-April. Please help us keep up the pressure.
Photo credit: Jacques Nadeau, Le Devoir
Take Action before March 31:
Email or post a letter from your family or For Our Kids team:
Use this template letter drafted by one of our teams. Make a copy, make it personal and send to the addresses provided in the template. Unique and personal letters have a bigger impact that standard form letters forwarded on by an organization on your behalf. If you have questions or need support with your letter, email: [email protected]a.
Call Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change: 613-992-6779
Ideas for what you could say:
- I’m calling to speak with or leave a message for Minister Guilbeault.
- I'm a parent/grandparent concerned for our kids; the climate crisis is a direct threat to their well being.
- The latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report is clear: we can’t keep our kids safe and develop new fossil fuel projects.
- You must reject the proposed Bay du Nord offshore oil project.
- Investing in fossil fuels is a risky investment. Instead, finance a just transition and support workers with jobs in a green economy.
Approximately 500 kilometres east of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador in the Flemish Pass, in the Atlantic Ocean, this proposed project could keep Canada from meeting its climate targets. It would further our dependence on fossil fuels at a time when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) tells us we must transition away from them. More info:
- Opinion piece in the National Observer: We cannot afford Bay du Nord.
- An open letter from over a hundred Canadian civil society organizations calling on Cabinet to reject Bay du Nord and focus on a fair transition for Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Information from the Government of Canada website.