This month, youth activists are making their voices heard in the streets and online as part of the Fridays for Future Global Day of Climate Action on Sept. 25 and we have three ways you can add your voice to theirs. Right now, decisions are being made that will set the course for Canada's recovery from COVID-19. Parents' voices are needed to tell elected officials we want that course to lead to a cleaner, more equitable and sustainable future for kids.
1) Speak up: if you only have a few minutes, sign this petition, and to really drive the message home, use it as a template to send an email directly to your MP, with a copy to Deputy Prime Minister/Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland and Prime Minster Justin Trudeau.
2) Pay up: we'll send 100% of donations made here to September youth climate actions.
3) Stand up: find out what your local youth climate group is doing and join them. This map can help you contact the group nearest you, but you might have to do some digging on your own.
Check out these actions by parents, grandparents, and grownups across Canada supporting youth, and let us know about others so we can promote them:
- in and around Vancouver, Parents Calling for Climate Justice are hosting two online collective actions on Sept. 21 to phone and email elected officials in support of Sustainabiliteens and the #NotGoingBack campaign
- in Toronto/GTA, For Our Kids Toronto is a partner in Tell your MP: Livable Futures for All! actions the week of Sept. 21-25. They're sharing template letters/emails/social media posts you can use to contact your political representatives, they'll be visiting (safely) MPs offices, chalking messages, and participating in Fridays for Future's socially-distanced sit-in for a just recovery on Sept. 25 noon-3:00 at Wellesley West & Bay St.
- For Our Kids/Parents for the Planet Ottawa-Gatineau has a whole range of suggested actions for you to take, from joining the Sept. 25 climate strike in the nation's capital in person, to hosting your own personal march and posting signs. They've made it easy with template emails and letters you can use to contact your MP as well.
- Pour Nos Enfants/For Our Kids Montreal is hosting a Parents' Climate Action on Sept. 26 at 12:30 at Place du Canada, immediately before the massive climate march planned at 1:00. Parents will be setting up children's shoes in the open space, symbolizing those most affected by climate change, and donating shoes in good condition following the action.
Whatever action you take, sharing it with For Our Kids will amplify your voice. Take a picture, post on social media and send to hello [at] forourkids [dot] ca or tag us on Facebook. Videos work too!