During the BC 2020 Election, For Our Kids Vancouver sent this survey to all candidates in several Vancouver and Fraser Valley ridings to find out where they stand on climate. Below are the survey questions and results. Our hope was that this would help individuals elect a climate champion in their riding and hold our candidates accountable.
BC ELECTION 2020 CANDIDATES SURVEY
The Climate Crisis threatens our children and grandchildren’s quality of life now and into the future. We need to be assured our next MLA will treat the climate emergency as the crisis it is and take real action.
To earn our vote, we want to know the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statements which follow.
1. Fossil fuel subsidies and approval of fracking, LNG, and other oil and gas developments can be part of a credible plan in achieving net-zero carbon by 2050.
2. BC must improve its respect for Indigenous rights and adherence to UNDRIP through shared decision-making.
3. The government should fund the transition to renewable energy, such as solar power, in all buildings and homes in BC, especially in Northern communities.
4. The Climate Crisis should be treated with the same level of urgency as the public health crisis of Covid-19 .
5. BC’s old growth forests are a critical component of meeting BC’s climate targets and should be protected.
6. Is there anything else you'd like to say? (140 words or less)
NDP- All Candidates, All Ridings
Vancouver- Point Grey
David Eby- NDP
Mark Bowen- Liberal
Devyani Singh- Green
Ian Goldman- Green
George Heyman- NDP
George Affleck- Liberal
Vancouver- False Creek
Sam Sullivan- Liberal
Brenda Bailey- NDP
Maayan Kreitzman- Green
Niki Sharma- NDP
Bridget Burns- Green
Alex Read- Liberal