We'd like your suggestions for our action of the month - something the For Our Kids community can do together to advance our mission of a green, just, and equitable world. Your suggestion should be something you yourself will participate in if it happens. Here's the criteria for a monthly action:
- It should concern systemic change (so not focusing on individual lifestyle change)
- It should be something relevant to anyone across the country
- It should be something that lends itself both to an action by an individual and an action by a group of people
- It should have both a low-barrier action (easy and quick to take) as well as options for bigger commitments
- Bonus points for actions that people find attractive in some way (fun, and/or timely in the moment)
- Collaborations with other organizations may also be desirable
Here's an example:
Canada's big banks are major financiers of fossil fuel expansion, with most Canadians holding accounts in these banks which can be found in almost every community. A monthly action on this front could include:
- A petition on the For Our Kids website to the bank CEOs (quick low barrier action)
- An option for an individual to go further and contact her/his local bank manager directly
- An option for an individual to go even further and move his/her bank account to a credit union
- An option for a local group to stage a "celebration of clean money" outside a local bank branch (with something visual like soap and brushes) and invite the media
You can make a suggestion using this form below, or else just email it to hello [at] forourkids [dot] ca. Each month we'll meet with our group leaders to discuss ideas and select the one for the next month that appeals to the most people.
Thanks for your suggestions!